This desk came to me after it had had the misfortune to be in a house fire. I left it in my storeroom for ages hoping some of the smell of smoke would go. I was surprised what effect the heat from the fire had on the glue holding the drawers together, every single one had to be taken apart and re-glued.Apart from that I removed the old desk writing surface (not leather) and remade the runners for the centre drawer which had warped so much it had worn out the runners and would no longer work at all. I repaired some carving on one of the drawer fronts then passed the desk on to my polishing department for extensive cleaning staining and waxing. Finally I fitted a new leather and hey presto!